Responsible for performing technical laboratory procedures on patient specimens and evaluating the accuracy and validity of results. Perform and assess quality control of procedures and preventive maintenance/troubleshooting of laboratory equipment. Position may involve exposure to infectious or caustic agents.
1. *Perform clinical testing using a variety of automated and non-automated techniques. (Expected to stay current with Laboratory procedures, as well as, continually evaluate specimen integrity, instrument function and review values to assure quality results. Practice good lab technique, identify and analyze
problems, seek and consider alternative solutions and request clarification/ assistance as needed.)
2. *Participate in Quality Control (QC) and Performance Improvement (PI) activities to ensure accurate and timely reporting of results. Monitor and evaluate QC for all test results according to established protocols. Follow through on troubleshooting and problem solving, provide documentation as required and participate in continuous improvement of operations and processes.
3. *Use professional judgment and effective decision-making skills in accordance with Laboratory policies and procedures. Effectively handle problems or unusual/difficult situations with specimens, co-workers or customers and request assistance when appropriate.
4. *Call and document critical values according to Laboratory Policy.
5. Use effective oral and written communication skills, such as organized, legible documentation of activities, participate in one-on-one and group discussions and communicate effectively with co-workers to assure uninterrupted resulting of testing to provide quality patient care.
6. Maintain competency in computer skills. Accurately order and/or cancel results and comment in the LIS. Ensure correct patient identification.
7. Perform testing in a timely manner and prioritize/ organize routine, timed and STAT work.
8. Monitor condition, care and maintenance of equipment. Document problems and service calls completely. Effectively communicate potential problems and relevant information regarding instrumentation.
9. Perform any necessary high complexity testing as required including, but not limited to, manual differential reviews, review of urine culture growth and identification of pathogens and quantitative semen analysis.
10. Assist in the training of staff in the following areas, phlebotomy (adult and pediatric), rapid kit and correct use of the EMR for ordering laboratory tests.
1. Minimum of a Baccalaureate degree in Medical Technology or one of the related sciences.
2. Completion of an accredited ASCP Medical Technology intern training program.
3. Montana State license as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.