Perform laboratory procedures using a variety of automated and non-automated technologies. Evaluate the accuracy and validity of patient test results and report the information correctly. Perform, monitor, and evaluate quality control for all tests; maintain laboratory equipment, troubleshoot according to established protocols.
1. Perform clinical patient testing using a variety of automated and non-automated technologies. Current with and perform Lab procedures on an annual basis; continually evaluate specimen integrity, patient/specimen identification, instrument function, practicing good lab technique at every stage; request clarification and assistance as needed.
2. Participate in Quality Control and Quality Management (Performance Improvement informally included) activities to ensure accurate and timely reporting of results. Monitor and evaluate all QC for all test results according to established protocols, providing documentation and Meditech comments as required; participate in QM studies in a variety of departments; contributes to improvement of operations and process.
3. Uses effective oral and written communication skills, contributing to a functional and positive staff culture. Provide organized, legible documentation of activities; effective in one-on-one communications and group meetings, maintaining a positive attitude; communicated effectively with coworkers to assure uninterrupted resulting of tests and providing quality customer service and patient care; embraces KRH values R.I.S.E. as noted below.
4. Uses professional judgment and is capable of critical thinking, triaging and organizing the work and work area for best flow, and has effective decision-making skills. Works efficiently as a professional; able to handle problems or unusual/difficult situations with specimens, co-workers, or customers; identifies and troubleshoots problems, seeking and considering alternative solutions; requests assistance when appropriate.
5. Performs accreditation related tasks. Calls and documents Critical Values according to Laboratory Policy; performs competencies assigned via CAP Competency program; performs Proficiency testing assigned by each department Supervisor.
6. Maintains competency in computer skills. Accurately orders tests, cancels tests, verifies results, and adds comments to patient results in the LIS; able to pull up electronic procedures and procedures contained within table of contents of each department.
7. Performs testing in a timely manner. Effective in handling workload and workflow; demonstrates the ability to set priorities; effectively organizes and runs routine, timed, and STAT work; maintains efficiency with specimens; avoids batching specimens in areas of large volume; capable of handing off work to others at shift change.
1. Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or related science field.
2. Montana State license as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist or ability to obtain license within 45 days of date of hire.