At Kalispell Regional Healthcare, our mission is to improve the health, comfort, and life of those we serve. We believe in a better future for healthcare. With more than 4,000 employees, we are the largest private employer in the Flathead Valley. As we continue to grow, we look for people dedicated to service and quality.
Provides and maintains comprehensive information services to assist with physician and staff professional development, patient care, research, educational and administrative goals. Professional competencies relate to information resources, access, technology and management. Assists in planning and implementation of special projects for Medical Library.
1. *Manages day-to-day medical library operations and facility-wide information services by responding to customers and efficiently provides knowledge-based information upon requests. Proactively provides other services as needed to help improve access to Medical Library services and resources, enhancing the Provider’s clinical experience or the Administrator’s decision making.
2. *Is cognizant and responsive to time-sensitive requests and able to communicate Medical Library Policy & Procedures. Records and maintains statistics for all services.
3. *Facilitates both print and online resource accessibility, by proactively finding and correcting gaps, and consistently updating the resources ensuring access is always available for KRH clinical staff 24/7. Acts as liaison with the Health Information Technology department to ensure the technology needed for access is running smoothly.
4. *Conducts literature searches to support clinical care of patients and administrative functions of KRMC and KRH. May also attend patient rounds with clinical staff and provides supporting literature upon request. Makes reasonable efforts to improve searching skills utilizing experience, consultations and continuing education.
5. *Obtains copies of documents via online resources or interlibrary loans (ILLs) with other libraries. Proactively operates all aspects of document delivery and interlibrary loans including borrowing, lending, and appropriate rejections. Reports monthly statistics to the Lead Medical Librarian. May assist in policy development involving ILLs. Maintains cooperative relationships with all other libraries, ensuring reliability of intact partnerships in providing resources at little or no cost.
6. *Participates in library collection development. Recognizes and communicates gaps in subject matter collection based on previous and ongoing requests for information. Proactively suggests ideas for additional materials and facilitates online trials for the KRH workforce with the Lead Medical Librarian.
7. *Acquires and catalogs resources, both print and online. Facilitates and maintains centralized book ordering process for all KRH departments, cataloging (copy cataloging) and delivering books to the requesting departments promptly. Consults with Montana Shared Catalog mentor for original cataloging situations. Updates the online catalog with current records and links as needed. Works with KRH departments to update their holdings, removing items from online catalog as appropriate.
8. *Implements and learns new technology offerings as applicable to information services. Collaborates with our Health Information Technology department with regards to technology and other online resource implementation.
9. *Teaches skills involving literature searches and access to resources. Works with other KRH departments and cooperating partners to provide formal classes as needed.
10. *Participates in the design, planning and implementation of new services or programs. May assist with grant writing or planning projects for funding award applications.
11. *Maintains cooperative relationships throughout KRMC/KRH and representatives of networked libraries worldwide. Proactively seeks opportunities for Medical Library to fulfill a need in other KRH services.
1. Master's degree in Library/Information Science or degreed clinical professionals considering pursuit of a Master’s degree in Library/Information Science.
2. Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in healthcare-related library and information services preferred. Clinical experience may be substituted for library experience.
3. Knowledgeable of current library principles, theories, standard methods, and techniques.
4. Familiar with or ability to learn medical terminology and medical databases.
5. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and maintain cooperative relationships with providers and staff members. Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
6. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, required.
7. Proven ability to take initiative, exercise independent judgment, and proactively problem solve. Must work in a planned manner without direct supervision.
8. Possess and maintain computer skills to include knowledge of Word, Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint and ability to learn other software as needed.
Kalispell is a dynamic community located within a thirty-minute drive of Flathead Lake, Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort, Glacier National Park, several National and State forests and parks, and the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. Kalispell is the retail, professional, medical, and governmental center of the Flathead Valley serving approximately 140,000 people in Northwest Montana.