At Kalispell Regional Healthcare, our mission is to improve the health, comfort, and life of those we serve. We believe in a better future for healthcare. With more than 4,000 employees, we are the largest private employer in the Flathead Valley. As we continue to grow, we look for people dedicated to service and quality.
Under direct supervision performs activities associated with drug distribution, ordering and control for medication dispensing. Direction and guidance are performed by a manager/supervisor or Pharmacist. Helps coordinate the work activities and training of Pharmacy Technician I, II and III’s. Performs in a leadership capacity among the Pharmacy Technicians by maintaining compliance with the State-approved Tech-Check-Tech Program.
1. *Understands and completes all aspects of medication distribution from the pharmacy to all areas of the in-patient facility. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. Filling the Pyxis system and utilizing the bar code scanning.
b. Filling patient drawers in all the nursing units and filling floor stock through-out the facility.
c. Delivering STAT medications in the most efficient manner to all areas of the facility.
d. These duties will be supervised and verified by a pharmacist and/or technician that is currently a tech-check-tech technician.
2. *Completes rounds according to current policy. This includes delivering and retrieving medications, debiting and crediting medications to patient specific accounts to ensure accurate billing. This fluid process will be coordinated with other pharmacy personnel to meet the immediate needs of the pharmacy department.
3. *Performs all the tasks associated with maintaining the pharmacy inventory. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. Ordering, receiving, and shelving medications.
b. Documents and communicates drug shortages.
c. Monitors the pharmacy inventory for out dated medications, and disposes of them according to current policy.
4. *Demonstrates a working knowledge of all the pharmacy computer systems. This is a continually evolving process and a willingness to learn and embrace new systems is essential.
5. *Maintains a working knowledge of out-patient dispensing and laws in order to meet the needs of the department’s limited role in this area. This includes, but is not limited to, preparing and dispensing medications for Hospice, Brendan House, Evergreen Pharmacy and discharged patients.
6. *Aids in staff development, including orienting new employees and students, participating in quality assessment, evaluations, and improvement projects.
7. *Maintains a neat and orderly environment. This includes but is not limited to:
a. Cleaning duties.
b. Medication disposal
c. Trash disposal
8. *Actively continues education to keep abreast of Pharmacy law and to maintain current licensure.
9. *Manufactures, prepares, compounds, packages and labels pharmaceuticals within a specialized program such as the IV additive service, oncology medications and/or the investigational drug service.
10. *Tech Lead’s will actively compound IV additive medications using sterile, aseptic techniques according to current policies and federal regulations. Maintains the sterile environment in the clean room according to current policies and procedures. Respects the importance of demonstrating accuracy and sterility in product preparation, thus allowing the pharmacist to confidently verify that the products have been prepared properly. This is critical to ensure patient safety.
11. *Tech Lead’s will actively compound chemotherapy products. Understands the inherent dangers these products may have for themselves and the patients. Mitigates these dangers to the best of their abilities at all times. Respects the importance of demonstrating accuracy and sterility in product preparation, thus allowing the pharmacist to confidently verify that the products have been prepared properly. This is critical to ensure patient safety.
12. *Tech Lead’s will participate in the state approved “tech-check-tech” program. Respects the significance of being the final check in the process and understands the responsibility they assume in this role.
1. Active licensure with the Montana Board of Pharmacy as a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) in good standing, or currently enrolled as a Pharmacy Student in an accredited University Program (second year or higher). Minimum 5 (five) years of experience as a hospital Pharmacy Technician including at least 1 (one) year of experience as a Pharmacy Technician III (or equivalent position) and completion of the State approved Tech-Check-Tech Program.
2. Completion of a Pharmacy Technician training program is desirable. Prior health care experience preferred.
3. CPR HS AED training required.
4. Proficient typing skills required.
5. Must have an understanding of medical terminology and calculations. Must have fluent knowledge of medication brand and generic names.
6. Prior experience in Meditech, Pyxis, QS1, Merge or other similar programs preferred.
7. Proficient working knowledge of aseptic technique for preparing sterile products.
8. Must communicate effectively and maintain cooperative relationships with providers, staff members and patients. Must work effectively in a team environment
Kalispell is a dynamic community located within a thirty-minute drive of Flathead Lake, Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort, Glacier National Park, several National and State forests and parks, and the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. Kalispell is the retail, professional, medical, and governmental center of the Flathead Valley serving approximately 140,000 people in Northwest Montana.