Job Specific Duties:
- *Human Resources: Creates a supportive department culture by fostering individual motivation, coaching and training for optimum job performance. Collaborates with Human Resources to ensure each employee has the required and appropriate license and certification(s). Gives direction without conflict. Anticipates staff problems and takes preventive measures. Analyzes and responds to employee turnover taking appropriate steps to maintain high employee morale and satisfaction. Educates employees on timekeeping policies and procedures to ensure accuracy. Reviews and approves the bi-weekly payroll for department employees. Responsible for completing 6-month and annual performance evaluations with employees on or before their due date for all employees supervised by the unit manager. Creates job descriptions and job standards for each position and monitors to ensure accuracy. Plans work schedules and assigns work to staff to ensure adequate service and coverage.
- *Exhibits a commitment to the mission and organizational values of KRH. Maintains standards of care and adheres to organizational policies/procedures.
- *Maintains a demeanor of innovative and professional leadership, civility, teamwork and customer service while undertaking all tasks and interactions within the organization.
- *Evaluates nursing services provided and makes recommendations for improvements.
- *Delegates administrative and/or supervisory responsibilities of Clinical Nurse Managers.
- *Promotes customer service through regular interaction with physicians, administrators, clinical staff, patients and the general public in a courteous manner and provides proactive service recovery.
- *Coordinates and/or develops ongoing performance improvement activities for clinical staff and monitors nursing compliance with standards and regulatory requirements.
- *Maintains knowledge of Magnet® principles and leads efforts to promote the application of the Magnet® model components for nursing. These competencies include the following:
- Transformational leadership skills and the ability to (a) communicate a shared vision, (b) influence behaviors through coaching and positive role modeling (c) engaging in patient-centered care, (d)monitoring performance expectations, (d) provide constructive feedback and clinical mentoring, and (f) build teamwork through collaboration.
- Structural empowerment as demonstrated by participation and support of shared governance models for (a) professional practice development by clinical nurses, (b) unit council meetings and activities, and (c) peer based committees for safety, ethics, research, evidence-base practice (EBP), quality improvement, clinical review, products, and documentation.
- Exemplary practice as evidenced by fostering excellence through the use of evidence-based practice for clinical care standards, and (e) participation in improvement processes to enhance clinical performance.
- Knowledge innovations as evidenced by the ability to (a) articulate patient care standards and current nursing practice (b)support clinical standards, policies and procedures, (c) foster unit specific education, and (d) encourage staff growth and education.
- Empirical outcomes as demonstrated by (a) participation in data collection efforts as required and endorsed by KRH, (b) analysis of outcomes, (c) improvement activities based on the data analysis, and (d) contribution of the reporting improvement activities through designated KRH processes.
9 . *Ensures delivery of compassionate quality care and nursing supervision as evidenced by adequate services and staff coverage on the unit.
Managerment Specific Duties:
Drive organizational objectives by operationalizing the department effectively and efficiently. Proactively anticipate both the needs of KRH and the impact the department has on the organization’s success. Collect and analyze data, prepare options, present recommendations, and explain associated benefits and risks.
Practice and further develop competencies in the areas of general management, financial management, human resources management, organizational dynamics and governance, organizational communication, strategic planning, information management, risk management and quality improvement. Demonstrate professional ownership, self-development and a desire for life-long learning.
Serve as a role model for others by exhibiting the KRH core values: integrity, compassion, service, excellence and ownership. Lead and influence the team to provide outstanding customer service. Develop and foster relationships with other KRH leaders, departments and members of the team to support open communication, trust and collaboration.