The Financial Analyst/Accountant performs both detailed accounting functions and overall financial analysis to provide accurate and data based information on KRHS financial activity. The Financial Analyst/Accountant responsibilities include identifying, collecting, analyzing, and maintaining data used to evaluate issues that support prospective business decisions. Accounting duties include the preparation and processing of monthly financial and statistical data used for timely and accurate financial statement preparation. The position will also be expected to support both the annual budget cycle and financial audit. The Financial Analyst/Accountant must maintain strict confidentiality regarding patients, employees, business records, and other work-related activities.
1. *Debt and Lease Analysis - accounting treatment determination - Review new loan documentation and analyze all RFP’s. Set up accounts in GL as required. Prepare and maintain amortization schedules for loans and capital leases. Reconcile debt to statements and make adjustments to the GL as required. Prepare various monthly journal entries related to debt. Prepare debt schedules and debt related footnotes for annual audit. Prepare debt schedules for S&P. Provide information for budgeting purposes. Other debt related projects as requested.
2. *Intercompany and 3rd Party Leases – accounting treatment determination and analysis–Review all new and existing contracts related to leases from legal department. Ensure an active lease is in place for all lease activity. Maintain lease tracking and complete monthly intercompany and external rent entries/payments. Determine whether leases are capital or operating in accordance with policy and ensures proper recording thereafter. Review all outgoing payments to ensure validity, accuracy and timeliness.
3. *Survey’s and Data Collection – Prepare various governmental and non-governmental quarterly/annual survey’s and/or data collection (often insurance related) as requested through-out the year.
4. *Property Taxes – Track real and personal properties for tax purposes. File State/County exemptions where available, prepare monthly journal entries; process all payments in a timely and efficient manner. Prepare special requests and analysis as needed.
5. *Accounting Processes & Close - On a monthly basis, reconcile accounts and prepare journal entries related to various KRH entities and locations. Record monthly activity and contractual/bad debt estimates for assigned clinics. Review activity to ensure reasonableness and make adjustments to the GL as required. Collect and record statistical data in Meditech where needed. Prepare monthly bank reconciliations on assigned accounts. Reconcile and process for payment monthly life insurance coverage. Backup for daily system interface batch postings. Quarterly and year-end, reconcile accounts and verify accuracy prior to the annual audit. Prepare various special annual entries as required. Maintain balance sheet account reconciliations monthly, (quarterly at a minimum) and adhere to reconcile/reviewer and summary reporting processes.
6. *Financial/Analytic Support for all KRMC Nursing Departments. Provide coordination and oversight of financial operations for nursing departments. In collaboration with the CNO review financial reports, develop new processes to improve data tracking and financial performance, and meet with nursing managers weekly and/or monthly to review financial indicators and goals; identifying financial trends and establishing methods to improve performance. Actively participate in the variance analysis process. Review financial opportunities in the areas of non-salary expenditures. In collaboration with the CNO, work to create processes that will meet the needs of both the nursing and finance departments. Become knowledgeable regarding the various nursing departments and the challenge to meet financial goals while caring for higher acuity patients.
7. *Budget Preparation and Reporting. Assist in the oversight of operating and capital budgets for all KRH entities. Responsible for specific assigned KRH entity/department budgets working closely with the manager/director responsible for the specific assigned area while ensuringdata and system integrity.
Process may include, but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
a. Ensure that departmental manager adheres to budget time line.
b. Review budget packet with manager/directorwhich includes assumptions, historical financial data, department staffing data and statistics.
c. Educate manager/directory on tools available to assist with budget preparation.
d. Direct manager/director in preparation of revenue, deductions from revenue, property tax, depreciation, interest, bad debt and other expenses that require additional information and knowledge.
e. Review completed budget with manager/director to ensure completeness and accuracy.
f. Prepare department manager/director for budget review with Finance Director, respective department, Administrator and Chief Financial Information Officer.
8. *Financial Analysis and Variance Reporting. Prepare variance analyses on revenue, expense, and/or volume trends for requested areas. Analyze financial data from actual results, prior year data, budgets, forecasts; taking into account company goals and objectives. Assemble and summarize data to structure sophisticated reports on financial status and risks. Develop financial models and process analysis. Identify trends and recommendations based on sound analysis. Assist in driving process improvements and policy development initiatives that impact the financial analysis function. Work with Manager and Senior Analysts to provide alternatives and recommendations to reduce costs and improve financial performance.
9. *Productivity Reporting. Work closely, assist and provide backup support to system owner of productivity tools while ensuring data and system integrity. Assist in educating management on productivity reports and tools available to aid with variance explanations. Assist in investigation of variances from budget, prior year and benchmark data as applicable, while providing sound variance explanations to Finance Manager and Director, and CFIO. Ensure that explanations are submitted on a timely basis.
10. *General ledger system analysis and data integrity – provide corporate wide guidance, support and review of general ledger activity to insure data integrity. Work with Health Information Technology to map any financial related transaction to correct general ledger account number(s). Review/approve all requests for correcting entries to financial system to determine root cause and make process and/or education improvements to streamline and continuously improve internal and external reporting integrity. Perform data integrity reviews of all inputs to accounting system (Meditech) and provide process improvement recommendations for streamlining and automating financial transactions across the organization.
11. *Other duties as assigned. Perform other accounting duties and/or special projects as assigned or as requested by Manager/Director/Admin and are completed to the best of ability within timeline of project.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
2. CPA preferred and/or CMA, CFA or MBA a plus.
3. Minimum 3-5 years of specific accounting and/or financial analysis experience required. Healthcare and physician clinic background preferred.
4. Computer skills: Excel, Word and ten-key required; PowerPoint and Meditech experience preferred.
5. Work style that fosters credibility by developing loyalty, teamwork, and respect at all levels in the organization, as well as with consultants, fiscal intermediaries and other outside parties. Must be able to interact well with all levels of personnel.
6. Must be able to work under pressure for prolonged periods, meet deadlines, and work extra hours as required from time to time with accuracy.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required to interact positively with department leaders and present information to Manager(s), Director and/or CFIO clearly and competently, while also possessing the ability to present technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
8. Must possess ability to work independently on complex projects with excellent comprehension and management of complex tasks and problems and bring to satisfactory completion; self-directed.
9. Requires a highly organized and accurate individual, with strong attention to detail, and willingness to follow-through on tasks and projects to completion. Must be able to effectively manage project timelines and stay on-target to meeting all deadlines; while providing high quality work.