At Kalispell Regional Healthcare, our mission is to improve the health, comfort, and life of those we serve. We believe in a better future for healthcare. With more than 4,000 employees, we are the largest private employer in the Flathead Valley. As we continue to grow, we look for people dedicated to service and quality.
Under physician’s clinical supervision, assists in the delivery of patient care/treatment as governed by the Board of Medical Examiners and according to Kalispell Regional Healthcare Physician Network Medical Assistant job description, policies or procedures. Provide clerical and administrative support such as scheduling appointments. Work collaboratively with Physicians, Advance Practice Providers, RNs, LPNs and other department staff to meet the physical, psychosocial, education and spiritual needs of the patient and family.
1. May perform any/all job duties of the MA level 1 as directed by Practice Manager.
2. Receive and process lab results (critical lab values)
a. NOTE: RMA needs to be added to Critical Value policy (currently only CMA/RN/LPN).
3. Enter physician-approved orders for medications and diagnostic testing in Electronic Medical Record per clinic protocol.
4. Exhibit strong clinical, problem-solving, interpersonal communication and leadership abilities.
5. May serve as a MA team leader and/or preceptor to new medical assistants. Preceptors must complete KRH preceptor training. May be asked to serve on the MPD Clinical Leadership Committee.
6. Under supervision of department leadership, participate in process improvement or risk related departmental activities.
7. Incorporate population specific needs into all aspects of communication and patient care. Scope of services will encompass age groups ranging from infant through geriatric (depending on the specific clinic patient panel).
8. May receive delegated tasks from physician only (refer to Montana State Board of Examiners Rule 24.156.640 )
9. May not receive delegated tasks from other MAs, RN/LPNs, NP/PA (refer to Montana State Board of Examiners Rule 24.156.640 )
10. Performs all other duties as assigned or as needed to meet the needs of the department, Medical Practice Division and KRH excluding:
Per policy N580, IV related tasks are reserved for RN/LPN only. Exception for emergent situations in which RN/LPN not onsite AND lack of placement would result in adverse patient outcome. Task must be performed under the direct supervision of the practice physician (for definition of direct supervision, refer to Montana State Board of Medical Examiners Rule 24.156.640)
a) Central line access/ care.
b) Indwelling catheter placement and discontinuation (see N485)
Must meet all the qualifications of the MA level 1 position.
2. 6 – 12 months experience in a health care facility under the supervision of a licensed health care provider required. Recent experience (last 2-3 years) in a health care facility preferred.
3. Current First Aide, Healthcare Provider CPR required.
4. Possess analytical skills necessary to organize daily work, interpret data and maintain simple to moderate complex records. Employ time-management concepts to maximize time effectively.
5. Interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
6. Experience in assisting in a variety of treatments and procedures as directed by a physician.
7. Demonstrated ability to maintain records and ability to record data.
8. Demonstrated application of safe pharmaceutical handling and usage of personal protective equipment (PPE) for patient and staff safety required.
9. Experience with electronic health records including; progress notes, patient histories, vitals, e-prescribing, electronic faxing, ordering and results for the laboratory, diagnostic imaging and pathology required. Ability to complete documentation of patient encounters and telephone encounters.
MA - level 2
1. Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) required.
2. Successful completion of required MA Development Program and Rise and Shine within 6-months of employment.
MA - level 3
1. Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) AND additional certification(s) including at least one of the following: Certified Phlebotomy Technician, Certified Medical Laboratory Assistant, Certified EKG Technician, Certified Pharmacy Technician, Certified Medical Administrative Assistant, Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist, Certified Coding Professional, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT or EMT-Paramedic), Emergency Medical Responder. (Additional certifications may be submitted to MPD Leadership for consideration of this requirement), Certified X-ray Technician, Certified Scribe.
2. Experience serving as a scribe for a physician including documentation of records and orders during patient visit and encounters.
3. Successful completion of required MA Development Program and Rise and Shine within six months of employment.
Kalispell is a dynamic community located within a thirty-minute drive of Flathead Lake, Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort, Glacier National Park, several National and State forests and parks, and the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. Kalispell is the retail, professional, medical, and governmental center of the Flathead Valley serving approximately 140,000 people in Northwest Montana.