Identifies, collects and maintains timely, accurate and complete information about cancer diagnosed and/or treated within the organization. Utilizes all resources to ensure cancer cases are identified, reported and followed-up in accordance with all federal and state regulatory guidelines and the American College of Surgeon (ACoS) accreditation standards.
1. *Enters all identified registry cases into suspense system. Follows procedures to ensure that accurate and authentic data is entered into the database.
2. *Maintains a follow-up accuracy rate on all cancer registry patients as designated by department procedures and protocol.
3. *Organizes and participates in Cancer Conference meetings and Cancer Committee Meetings.
4. *Runs Pathology reports to determine patient eligibility for the cancer registry.
5. *Abstracts cancer cases and meets productivity standards.
6. *Maintains the Cancer Registry policy and procedure manual.
7. *Collaborates with all departments and physicians to ensure Cancer Center accreditation.
8. *Interacts with Administration, physicians and other healthcare professionals to promote the registry and provides statistical reports, incidence data and graphs as requested.
1. Associate’s degree or graduate from approved Cancer Information Management Program or Health Information Technology Program preferred. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
2. Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) or eligible for certification, preferred.
3. Knowledge of human anatomy, medical terminology, and statistics preferred
4. Working knowledge of cancer program development and national accreditation standards preferred.
5. Possess and maintain computer skills to include working knowledge of Word, Outlook, Excel, and ability to learn other software as needed.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required. Must be detail-oriented, a self-starter, possess ability to set priorities and function as part of a team. Possess ability to use good judgment, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
7. Experience abstracting health information into a cancer registry, including knowledge of submission to State Registry and NCDB, preferred.
8. Knowledge of ICD-10 and ICD-9 coding, preferred.