Patient Financial Advisors (PFAs) work with patients and families in discussing financial responsibility and options available for payment of services. PFAs provide learning opportunities for patients and families about Financial Assistance and the application process. PFAs assist patients in navigating The Market Place during open enrollment periods and provide patients with estimated out-of-pocket charges for specific services being rendered.
1. *Performs bedside interviews with patients who were unable to receive Financial Advising prior to services. Explains financial responsibilities, options and provides a contact person after patient’s discharge. Reviews patient’s ability to pay using appropriate software within guidelines and practice. Communicates in easy-to-understand terms all payment options available to patients including Financial Assistance. Documents all patient interactions in notes.
2. *Reviews Financial Assistance applications and administers program in accordance with documented policies and practices. Responsible for processing Financial Assistance Applications and notifies patients of outcome. Forwards to appropriate individuals for approval and tracking.
3. *Performs Point of Service Collections (POS). Denotes any agreed upon payment arrangements. Posts deposits collected into the Accounts Receivable (A/R) system.
4. *Assists patients with potential pharmaceutical assistance programs in conjunction with policies and procedures.
5. *Coordinates with clinical staff as needed for clinical information for pre-cert/pre-auth or financial situations which could have an effect on scheduled services.
6. *Meets with patients, both scheduled and walk-ins, to discuss any and all questions regarding the financial portion of the patient’s care. Coordinates with other departments gathering information needed and communicates with patients in a timely fashion.
7. *Screens patients for potential third party payment assistance and connects patient with appropriate resources. Obtains certification as Market Place associate each year prior to open enrollment. Assists patients in navigating The Market Place website and explaining various insurance choices.
8. *Adheres to communication deadlines and strives to attain goals.
9. *Supports and models a welcoming, caring and service oriented experience.
10. *Approaches each day with enthusiasm and is able to positively motivate themselves and others to consistently deliver exceptional customer service and interact professionally with all.
1. Proficient with computers including Microsoft Office and spreadsheets required. Possess the ability to learn other software as needed.
2. Proficient with basic accounting principles and mathematical computations including percentages required. Ten Key by touch preferred.
3. Prior experience in a healthcare organization working with clinicians, insurance carriers, and government entities preferred.
4. Strong customer service skills, professional phone etiquette and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment. Must be detailed oriented.
5. Must possess professional communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as work effectively with a diverse customer and coworker population.
6. Proven ability to take initiative, exercise independent judgment, and proactively problem solve.
7. Possess an understanding of the confidentiality laws that govern the provider-patient relationship, including but not limited to HIPAA guidelines.