At Kalispell Regional Healthcare, our mission is to improve the health, comfort, and life of those we serve. We believe in a better future for healthcare. With more than 4,000 employees, we are the largest private employer in the Flathead Valley. As we continue to grow, we look for people dedicated to service and quality.
Responsible for the management of health information data, reviewing records for timeliness, completeness and accuracy in accordance with applicable law and policy. Scans and links patient data into the electronic health record. Maintains legal and regulatory compliance in all interactions with customers and releasing information.
HIM Technician I:
1. *Promotes positive customer relations through prompt and courteous service within a fast-paced, high volume, customer focused area.
2. *Processes basic release of information requests.
3. *Observes confidentiality in all interactions.
4. *Scans, links and QA’s patient information into appropriate applications.
5. *Runs reports, merges and corrects information in the electronic medical record. Merges duplicate accounts in all applications.
6. *Analyzes all patient type records for deficiencies in accordance with all Federal and State laws as well as Medical Staff By-laws.
7. *Runs daily discharge report, audits each patient encounter and follows up on missing visits and/or paperwork.
8. *Acts as backup to Physician Representative by working with the physicians on chart completion. This may entail contacting the Provider or office manager to ensure the Provider completes the chart timely. May also assist with new physician orientation as needed.
9. *Responsible for processing the coding hold list in a timely manner. This responsibility has a huge financial impact to the organization and involves daily contact and follow thru with other departments to ensure that the missing items are complete.
10. *Troubleshoots system issues and office equipment.
HIM Technician II:
1. *Performs all the job duties of a HIM Technician I as noted above.
2. *Responsible for training, mentoring, and following up with HIM Technician I’s related to the current and new processes.
3. *Trains new hires on HIM functions and performs quality audits on work. Trains staff on analysis of the electronic record and recording deficiencies in the EMR.
4. *Resolves medical record discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information. Merges and moves accounts as necessary.
5. *Assists leadership and Manager with Meditech and Image Now system upgrades and maintenance, and acts as a resource for troubleshooting any errors that may arise.
6. *Assists leadership with system upgrades and training to KRH facilities.
7. *Works collaboratively with physicians and clinicians to expedite the chart completion process.
8. *Conducts periodic quality audits on scanning, merging and analysis.
9. *Participates in educational opportunities and explores opportunities for process improvements.
10. *Creates and maintains training manual for new hires and special projects.
HIM Technician I:
1. Minimum of one (1) years’ experience in a healthcare setting or vocational training preferred. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
2. Possess and maintain computer skills to include working knowledge of Word, Outlook, Excel, and ability to learn other software as needed. Experience with Electronic Medical Record (EMR) preferred.
3. Proven ability to take initiative, exercise independent judgment, and proactively problem-solve while performing without direct supervision. Demonstrated ability in time management, thoroughness and attention to detail.
4. Must demonstrate excellent communication skills. Including the ability to follow written and verbal instructions required. Must employ tact, diplomacy and compassion with all types of people.
5. Promotes positive customer relations through prompt and courteous service within a fast-paced, high volume, customer focused area. Strong customer service skills, professional phone etiquette and ability to multi-task.
6. Understanding of the confidentiality laws that govern the provider-patient relationship, including but not limited to HIPAA guidelines.
HIM Technician II:
1. Must meet qualifications 3 thru 6 as noted above.
2. Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a clinical or Health Information Management setting required.
3. Previous experience understanding federal/state laws and regulations regarding record completion required.
4. Previous work experience researching patient information and creating reports in Meditech preferred.
5. Must possess experience to train and support HIM employees and KRH facilities on scanning patient records.
6. Possess knowledge and experience of departmental workflow and can identify areas that need improvement.
Kalispell is a dynamic community located within a thirty-minute drive of Flathead Lake, Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort, Glacier National Park, several National and State forests and parks, and the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. Kalispell is the retail, professional, medical, and governmental center of the Flathead Valley serving approximately 140,000 people in Northwest Montana.